Last month we went to see the recently renovated Várkert Bazár –literally “Castle Gardens Bazaar”— in Budapest’s castle district, here are some photos.
Recently I had to write a lot of attributes —titles and matching slugs (in the URL)— for a bunch of links for a simple Hungarian web page I was building. There were a lot of links. Since I was editing the HTML template and associated URL configuration in Vim, I figured I’d quickly run some macro to generate me slugs from the page titles, so that I wouldn’t have to do them one-by-one. It turned out none of the existing solutions did quite what was necessary so I developed my own solution (shown below), but first: What is a slug?
Slugifying is a step up from ascii-fication. If we take the latter to mean “removing all non-ASCII characters from a string” then slugifying simplifies it even more. The point of slugifying is to generate (usually from a link or post title) a string good for use as a URL, without the characters getting garbled up into non-human-readable URL-encoded rubbish like this:
when what you really want is something like this:
Existing solutions and the problem of OSX
I based my solution on xolox’s slug function from his str collection, but even more hardcore. His doesn’t handle accented characters well.
Mine shells out to iconv, like the Diacritic plugin does.
This doesn’t work so well on OSX because apparently its transliteration is rubbish, my workaround is to do a second pass and remove OSX’s garbage. I later found out that it’s because OSX uses the BSD libiconv which is much leaner and simpler and lighter than the GNU libc (this can be a good thing) but also apparently puts in much effort into transliterating strings in locales other than English. For example, if I convert a German word like “grün” to a German locale, I expect to get “groen”, and if I convert it to ASCII, which has no accented characters, then I expect grun, with no accents.
The iconv command on OSX would give you gr”un. IMO this is not useful in any language and it also doesn’t get me any closer to removing the accents to form slugs. A Hungarian example with a typical test word:
- Árvíztűrőtükörfúrógép input text
- ‘Arv’izt”ur”ot”uk”orf’ur’og’ep libiconv (OSX)
- Arvizturotukorfurogep glibc (this is what I want)
Since I can’t expect this to work consistently on Mac and Linux and I myself often switch between both I decided to brute force it, use iconv and strip any left over apostrophes and quotes from the result to handle the OSX case:
command! Slugify call setline('.', join(split(tolower(substitute(iconv(getline('.'), 'utf8', 'ascii//TRANSLIT'), "[\"']", '', 'g')), '\W\+'), '-'))
Probably not the most elegant solution, but at least it works for me…. consistently.
Edit from the future: I have now used this so much that I’ve committed it to my vimrc.
GT-S5570I) doesn’t get system updates any more, so I need to manually move Google’s updates into ROM to make space for regular apps. You need root privileges to do this, so I was following these instructions on the XDA Forum which almost work fine. You need to download and apply a file
update.zipbut the problem is the update script inside doesn’t include S5570I in the list of phone models it checks for, so the script aborts.
All you need to do is edit
/META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script inside update.zip and include this phone model in the assertion list, for example, I duplicated lines 15 and 16 and just added an
I to the end:
getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5570" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5570" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5570I" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5570I" ||
Everything works completely fine after that. Obviously this is not a general solution when rooting, you can’t just blindly add your own phone model into any update.zip not knowing what’s in it, but since this was from a post for specifically this model and it already had several very similar models listed, I thought it was worth the risk and it turned out just fine. Woop! 😎
This gallery contains 9 photos.
Monday was a public holiday, so we went hiking following this route through the Buda hills from Hármashatár Hegy to Solymár. Here are some photos of the scenery:
I keep forgetting this, but it’s really useful when working in the command line so I’m writing it down now. I use the grml zsh configuration in my shell and it has several very good features; a cool one I’d use more often if I could remember the shortcut is “in-place mkdir”. The key sequence is:
That’s Ctrl and x, followed by an uppercase M.
Here’s an example use case: Imagine you’re writing a command to do something with a very long path, like moving a file deep into a source tree
mv File.java src/something/very/long/
except half-way in your realise some of the directories in that path don’t exist. No problem! Usually you’d have to cancel that command, create the missing directories and then type it again. Now you can just type
Ctrl-X, Shift-M, the directories are created and you can just press enter to use them. Much less annoying! This can even work for different directories in the same command; move the cursor to the directory you need and zsh will create that one!
For other useful shortcuts, see the reference card.